I had never heard of this term itself. This product was introduced to me via Sorich Organics and the benefits of this product blew my mind away. Obviously excess of any product can just cause trouble, and that is applicable to this product as well. The sap is known for its cooling and heating properties and yes, its healing properties as well.
This is a viscous water soluble mixture. It also well known for containing with high amount of protein in it. It doesn’t have its own odor and taste.
I’m sure you all would be interested to know what the plant is, its benefits ,uses and healing properties. So, lets get right into the facts 🙂
About the Plant:
Tragacanth is an amazing herb obtained from the sap of legume plant that contains wonderful benefits. This herb comes from a shrub which is easily found in mid-east, Iran, Iraq and in some western parts of Asia as well. It is connected to the Astragalus species and the botanical name of the best quality gum is Astragalus Gummifer. The gum naturally emanates from the roots and incisions produced in the stem. From here it is being collected and then dried and that results in crystals/flakes. So Tragacanth Gum herb in India is popularly known by the Hindi name “Gond Katira”.
About the Brand: Click here to head to my previous post on the Brand and its Offerings.
Quantity: 100 gm (available in 200gm, 400gm and 900gm)
Shelf Life: 18 Months
Quality: The gum crystals in the package are of good quality and the packaging definitely did its job well.
Packaging: The product comes in airtight, resealable, recyclable paper bags. The package has the brand name and the superfood name on the front of the pack. On the other side of the package it provides information about the product, ingredients, information on how to use the product, Allergy information, Nutritional information, Certification marks, net weight, manufactured date and MRP. It also has the symbol indicating the products are vegetarian.
Benefits of Gond Katira:
- It is both cooling and heat producing. It can be used to cool the body in summers and heat it in winter.
- Gond katira keeps the body cool and prevents you from having heat strokes and nose bleeding in summers.
- It improves blood circulation and purifies blood.
- It reduces acne from the skin
- It tightens loose skin
- It is tremendously used for emulsifying and stabilizing purposes.
- It inhibits the growth of cancer cells in the body
- It regulates the sugar level in diabetic patients
- It is an excellent remedy for treating cough and diarrhea.
- For treating burns, the paste of the gond katira can be directly applied to the affected area. Hence this way it would show the best possible results.
- The herb can be used in various drinks, salad coverings, processed cheese and puddings as well. So that would offer taste and due to its cooling properties as well.
- As per the various studies, the herb stimulates the immune system. It also strength the body enough to fight with tumors.
- This works as the body reliever and on the same time, this is stabilizer, emulsifier and texture additive. Due to its properties, it also used in sauces, salads, confections and ice cream because that offers to make it thick.
Industrial Uses of Gond Katira:
Gond katira is not only used in food, and for healing purposes, but is widely used in textile industries, cosmetic industry, etc.
- It is a thickening agent and soused in making dyes for printing in various fields like calico printing, dressing fabrics, for preparing glues, for making gloss in ink and for water colors and textiles.
- This is a perfect binder as well and so used in making pastels of an artist. For gripping the powdered herbs in collaboration, this also used in incense making as a binder. This is the reason that makes it perfectly used for paper manufacturing.
- It is also used in cosmetic industry and in culture medium in laboratories as well.
- The herb Gond Katira used for preparing paste in floral sugar-craft. So that life like flowers can be made on wires and further they are used to decorate the cakes.
- It offers fineness and delicacies in finishing your work. And for the purpose the paste can be made that dried in the air or apprehend colourings.
How To Use Gond Katira:
I’m sure you all must be eager to know and understand how to use this product. So keep your reading glasses on and read further 🙂
- Soak 5gm of gond katira in water overnight. In the morning, pour water, and put the gond katira in a glass of milk. Add sugar and ice and consume it.
- Drink plenty of water when u consume gond katira.
- In India, It is majorly used for sweets (ice creams) and can be consumed directly and mixed in vegetable curries and drinks after soaking.
For recipes using Gond Katira, check out the below links:
As I mentioned, any product is beneficial to health if taken in the right proportion. Excess intake of the product may worsen things instead of healing.
- Excessive Intake can cause Constipation, Diarrhoea, Abdominal Pain, Gas, High Fever, Skin Rash.
- It may produce allergic symptoms like Asthma or Contact Dermatitis.
- Blocked Intestines: Drink plenty of water with Gond Katira. The gum may block intestines if you do not drink plenty of water.
- Breathing Problem: Avoid Gond Katira if you are allergic to Quillaia Bark. It may cauase breathing problems.
So guys, I hope this was an interesting and informative read and helps you whilst you make your purchases.
You can view and purchase products from Sorich Organics via Amazon.in
If you have any more information on the product, please feel free to share the information 🙂
References used from :