Yess! I am back with another product review ! The brand Sorich Organics needs no introduction, however, I shall post the link of my blog on the brand, right at the end of this blog post! :).
Today’s post is on another Super rich Superfood- Pumpkin Seeds!! These days,we get a lot of these seeds packed and promoted on a different level : giving us information on its benefits to health, nutritional value, etc. My mother would always tell me, during her time, once the pumpkin was cut open, the seeds were taken and dried in the sun and then they would peel off the thin shell protecting the seed and relish on the seed. It was a pass time earlier and a great snack as well! Little did they know the benefits of snacking on this amazing little seed! So here I am today to talk about pumpkin seeds, while i snack on them 🙂 .
About Pumpkins! :
Pumpkins, and their seeds, are native to the Americas, and indigenous species are found across North America, South America, and Central America. The word “pepita” is consistent with this heritage, since it comes from Mexico, where the Spanish phrase “pepita de calabaza” means “little seed of squash”.
Selection and Storage:
Pumpkin seeds are generally available in prepackaged containers as well as bulk bins. Just as with any other food that you may purchase in the bulk section, make sure that the bins containing the pumpkin seeds are covered and that the store has a good product turnover so as to ensure the seeds’ maximal freshness.
Whether purchasing pumpkin seeds in bulk or in a packaged container, make sure that there is no evidence of moisture or insect damage and that they are not shriveled. If it is possible to smell the pumpkin seeds, do so in order to ensure that they are not rancid or musty.
By purchasing organic, you will avoid unnecessary exposure to potential contaminants. By purchasing raw, you will be able to control the roasting time and temperature, and avoid unnecessary damage to helpful fats present in the seeds. At the same time, you will be able to bring out the full flavors of the pumpkin seeds through roasting.
Pumpkin seeds should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. While they may stay edible for several months, they seem to lose their peak freshness after about one to two months.
About Sorich Organics Pumpkin Seeds:
Quantity: 100gm (Available in 200gm, 400gm)
Shelf Life: 18 months
The pumpkin seeds come in airtight, resealable, recyclable paper bags. The package has the brand name and the superfood name on the front of the pack. On the other side of the package it provides information about the product, ingredients, information on how to use the product, Allergy information, Nutritional information, Certification marks, net weight, manufactured date and MRP. It also has the symbol indicating the products are vegetarian.
The seeds are crunchy and once roasted are a good snack option! The airtight package has definitely taken care of the product and ensures the seeds are fresh. I love the seeds plain as well as roasted. They taste amazing.
Benefits of Pumpkin Seeds:
- Pumpkin seeds are a widely used ingredient in various cuisines. The seeds are consumed for their richness in iron and magnesium among various other minerals and proteins.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in calories; about 559 calories per 100 g. Also, they are packed with fiber, vitamins, minerals, and numerous health promoting antioxidants.
- Pumpkin seeds carry good-quality protein. 100 g seeds provide 30 g or 54% of recommended daily allowance of protein. Also, the seeds are an excellent source of amino acid tryptophan and glutamate. Tryptophan is converted into serotonin and niacin. Serotonin is a beneficial neurochemical often labeled as nature’s sleeping pill.
- Pumpkin seeds are a very good source of antioxidant vitamin-E.
- Pumpkin seeds, pumpkin seed extracts, and pumpkin seed oil have long been valued for their anti-microbial benefits, including their anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
How to Consume Pumpkin Seeds:
- Raw kernels can be enjoyed as healthy snacks. Whole seeds can equally be enjoyable when roasted.
- Also, the kernels can be salted or sweetened. In Mexico, the seeds are usually toasted and flavored with salt, lime, or chili peppers, and eaten as snacks.
- Pumpkin seeds are one of the ingredients in the Mexican mole sauce.
- Just like other nuts and seeds, they can also be used in granolas, biscuits, bread, cookies, casseroles or baked goods.
- The seeds also used in salads especially sprinkled over fruit/vegetable salads.
- You may add them to desserts, particularly sundaes and other confectionaries.
- The seeds are frequently added to enrich in meat, poultry, rice, and vegetable dishes.
- Add pumpkin seeds to healthy sautéed vegetables
- Grind pumpkin seeds with fresh garlic, parsley and cilantro leaves. Mix with olive oil and lemon juice for a tasty salad dressing.
- Add chopped pumpkin seeds to your favorite hot or cold cereal.
- Next time you make burgers, whether it be from vegetables or meats, add some ground pumpkin seeds.
For recipes using pumkin seeds click the links below:
I love to snack on roasted pumpkin seeds and am already finishing up this pack!!! And yes, I have already made up my mind to buy more packs of Pumpkin Seeds!!!!
Go grab your pack from www.amazon.in
Hope this review helped you 🙂
P.S Click Sorich Organics to read my blog on the brand 🙂